For generations, society has systematically vilified and discriminated against LGBTIQ+ people. Despite important gains, there remain many forms of oppression that negatively affect the health and happiness of LGBTIQ+ people. We still need to fight for liberation from all forms of discrimination and bigotry.
What we think
- LGBTIQ+ people have the right to live free from fear, shame, bigotry or discrimination.
- Religious freedom does not mean freedom to discriminate against or vilify LGBTIQ+ people.
- Trans and gender diverse people have the right to affirm their gender, and for this to be recognised.
What we'll fight for
- Review and repeal all laws that discriminate against LGBTIQ+ people.
- Remove all current exemptions that allow institutions to discriminate against LGBTIQ+ people on religious grounds.
- Increase the availability of emergency housing for LGBTIQ+ people.
- Ensure inclusive sexuality education in schools and comprehensive professional learning for teachers to support gender and sexual diversity.
- Require institutions, businesses, non-government organisations and state agencies to recognise trans and gender diverse people’s gender identity.
- Fully fund health services to provide free, gender affirming care and ensure rural and regional accessibility to provide for all LGBTIQ+ health needs.
- Until they can give informed consent, ban all invasive or irreversible medical procedures on intersex children that modify sex characteristics, unless necessary to avoid serious health-related harm.